Monday, July 17, 2017

Everyone has a story

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to get to know new people.  I love to hear their stories and learn about their life.  I like to try and create opportunities for that to happen.  Sometimes it's just putting myself in the right situation such as sitting at the big table for breakfast at the hotel where you have to sit by someone you don't know, going to a new church, making conversation in the elevator, etc.  I don't know why I like to do that, but for me, learning about the lives of others and their culture is just as fascinating as the beauty of the terrain around me.  I always learn something new that enriches my life.

Yesterday was a day where we had several opportunities to do so.  I read the time wrong as to when church started, so our only option was to go to a little Spanish speaking church.  I know very little Spanish and my husband knows none.  There were only 13 people in the congregation and the branch president and his wife gave the talks, said the prayers, interpreted for an English speaking person giving announcements,  and led the music.  He was a young father with such a large responsibility.  There was only one young man to pass the sacrament and they used music from the internet for the hymns because they had no pianist.  Although I only understood a small part of what they were saying, I was in awe of their dedication to the Lord and in serving those in their congregation.  What a different sight from that of my home where there are thousands of members of the church, all sharing the load of doing the Lords work.  It was very humbling.

Later I struck up a conversation with a woman on the patio of the hotel.  A thunder storm was rolling through.  We were both by the doorway waiting for it to pass so that we could enjoy the patio by the river.  She was on her way back home after going all the way to AZ to pick up her aging parents to drive them to their summer home in CO.  What a sacrifice and kind thing she was doing.  There was never a complaint.  It was all done in love.

As I write this, it makes me realize that I don't need to travel to do this.  There are opportunities every day for us to meet someone new.  Each encounter touches me and teaches me.  We all have so much to offer each other if we step out of our little shell.

Here are some cool things we saw while on a drive last night.   We're headed home today, but are waiting for the Rock and Gem shop to open and hit the Cajun restaurant one more time before leaving.  They have the BEST catfish I've had in years.



No comments: